Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name

Since chip manufacturer AMD purchased graphics card company ATI in the summer of 2006 there have been erratic experiments in rebranding, but now AMD has fully committed to this, and are dropping the ATI moniker entirely. Going forward will sell their graphics cards under the AMD brand as AMD RADEON and AMD FirePro, as outlined on The Tech Report, while they say AMD will also offer products labeled simply RADEON and FirePro for lack of confusion in Intel systems. Other branding changes include ATI EyeFinity becoming AMD EyeFinity, and the dropping of the Fusion label altogether, and Fusion products will now be part of the Vision brand. They indicate that this rebranding paves the way for the release of AMD's upcoming line of integrated CPUs and GPUs. Current products are not being renamed, and the first AMD-branded GPUs will arrive later this year. They have some slides from AMD reflecting the market research leading up to this decision, though viewing such materials has been known to make one's soul dissolve.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

60. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 31, 2010, 08:47 Verno

Video card debates are pointless these days anyways. Everything runs the console ports just fine and we see practically no games tailored to the PC that push hardware boundaries. They are practically interchangeable except for very high resolution or multiple monitor scenarios and the BS features like PhysX are just meaningless boxart bullet points.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo