Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name

Since chip manufacturer AMD purchased graphics card company ATI in the summer of 2006 there have been erratic experiments in rebranding, but now AMD has fully committed to this, and are dropping the ATI moniker entirely. Going forward will sell their graphics cards under the AMD brand as AMD RADEON and AMD FirePro, as outlined on The Tech Report, while they say AMD will also offer products labeled simply RADEON and FirePro for lack of confusion in Intel systems. Other branding changes include ATI EyeFinity becoming AMD EyeFinity, and the dropping of the Fusion label altogether, and Fusion products will now be part of the Vision brand. They indicate that this rebranding paves the way for the release of AMD's upcoming line of integrated CPUs and GPUs. Current products are not being renamed, and the first AMD-branded GPUs will arrive later this year. They have some slides from AMD reflecting the market research leading up to this decision, though viewing such materials has been known to make one's soul dissolve.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

59. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 31, 2010, 00:44 Rigs

But Jesus, the power of marketing and nostalgia has an insane effect on some people here.

You have NO idea...

*quickly takes off candy apple red ATI hoodie and throws it in the closet*

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I don't think you know what I was thinking when I was saying that...

I'm sorry. I've been in the game for a while and the one thing in the industry, as it's changed, is the reliance on ATI video cards. Whenever I built a system, I always knew I could throw a decently powered ATI in for good money and not have to worry about it...

When I jumped off ship off the USS Nvidia in 2003, I HAD to have an ATI Radeon 9800PRO. That was the card to beat. I loved that card, and the DELL it was in. (I didn't exactly love the $1600 payment on it though) The only problem I had with it came 2 years later when the heatsink support snapped, sending the heatsink bungie jumping into the CPU fan. I only came to know about it from the smell of burning silicon waffing through the house. No, it doesn't smell good. It smells like $500 burning...

From there it was a 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder, but not for long. Just a small amount of time from there was an X850 Pro. Serious horsepower for the time, it took me through the dark ages of 2006-2008. No problems and it's used in my Mom's Dell as we speak running Windows7 like it's Windows 3.1. Next came my new Core2Dou E8400 system, Black Omega, with the mind blowing power of the HD4870. I was an early adopter though, and paid $500 for a 512mb version, which I'm not crazy about now as I look back.

While happy with it's performance, I had built the system right at the juncture of Core2Duo and the Core i7's and i5's. Seeing all the fun everyone was having, I built 'Black Omega 2' only a year later, in January, a Core i5-750 system with a HIS HD5770. This is where I am today, though I have since put my HD4870 back in the new system because of it's oh-so-slight advantage over the HD5770. While the 5770 runs cooler and requires less power, the 4870 runs just slightly faster and just responds better, IMO.

As it stands right now, I see absolutely no reason to go Green. They haven't come out with a card that gives a truly obvious advantage over the ATI cards already out there. I would love to get an HD5970 or two HD5770's in Crossfire. But right now, the system runs through everything like it's standing still and I don't even have to overclock to get decent performance. (Though that Core i5 is a tempting overclocker)...

How I see it is this - If you have an love nVidia, so be it. You're happy. Good for you. I'm supremely happy with ATI and will stick with them for the foreseeable future. There's room for both and arguing about which is better is as pointless as the INTEL vs. MAC and Windows/Linux/OSX debates. Each to their own...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo