Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Ars Technica - Buying used games: Developers, publishers don't care about you. Thanks Mark.
That's a bold statement, as gamers hate to be called pirates—and they will pirate your game in retaliation for being called pirates—but in both cases, the people behind the game aren't making any money from the sale. If you take the game online you're using their time and money. So where's the argument that developers need to keep these people happy?

BitMob - More Pixar, Less Uwe: How Hollywood Can Make a "Good" Video Game Movie.
This formula is responsible for movies of varying degrees of commercial success, though from a critic's perspective, they’re typically considered awful-to-middling films. For every Resident Evil -- arguably the only video game movie that stands on its own without much need to know the subject material -- we get several Uwe Boll movies and countless other generally bad adaptations. Most video game movies either go for broke on the game’s subject matter (Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia) or try to adapt that same subject matter into something more filmlike (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, almost every Uwe Boll movie). But few of them are able to strike a balance that will resonate with fans and interest the general movie-going audience alike.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

66. Re: Ars Technica - Buying used games Aug 28, 2010, 17:51 ASeven

JohnnyRotten wrote on Aug 28, 2010, 16:12:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2010, 15:46:
...So once again we come down to morality is subjective...

Exactly - for one person buying used in this market is bad, but not these others. It's a personal decision to be altruistic here, but selfish there. We're on the same page here.

And that's the thing. I've always defended that buying used or new is neither wrong nor right, neither of those purchase options is more wrong or more right than the other, it's simply two different purchase options without any moral value attached in economic definition for the consumer, without any illegality in the eyes of the law and without any moral attachment in my personal views.

The argument of wanting to support the developer is also a risky argument since most of that money never arrives at the dev's hands. The middleman which are the publishers and all the running costs ensure most of the money is already accounted for, the developer often receives a fixed salary and often without royalties but with the occasional bonus. When I buy a mainstream game I don't buy it with the illusion I'm supporting a developer but rather I know I'm supporting the publisher first and foremost since that's where most of the money goes to. If you are willing to support a developer go support an indie developer then because most if not all of the money goes to their pockets. At least when I purchase indie games I really know there's no middlemen (I often purchase the games directly from their sites, I'm fully aware an online distributor is a middlemen).

It always aggravates me when people attach a moral value in purchasing new vs purchasing used. There's no difference in the end for consumers other than a relative moral value that is inherently subjective and since it is protected by law and since buying used is often a statement from the market on how much a good or intangible asset is worth I say keep on the used market, if anything it will help deflate the value of crap games along with good games. In the end people will buy new games anyway if they're good, or hyped to kingdom's come.

To use a tired, old cliche that's becoming a bit truer each passing month in this industry, maybe developers should spend more time coding great games and less time whining and bitching about the consumers that actually buy games and end up paying their salaries ultimately because one day it will bite them back in the fucking ass and they'll have nobody to blame but themselves when that happens.

Bottomline: Like buying new? Fine. Like buying used? Fine too. Just do go throw bullshit rhetoric that one is more right or wrong than the other because it fucking isn't.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo