Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up

The Elemental Forums have a response from Stardock's Brad Wardell to this morning's post on PC Gamer recommending gamers avoid buying Elemental: War of Magic and other news-bits about the new turn-based strategy game. He apologizes for his comment in the Quarter to Three forum thread, saying this was directed at someone with whom he shares a personal friendship, but admits that he "responded inappropriately." He also refutes reports that they have pulled the Gamer's Bill of Rights from their site over the game's problems, pointing out they maintain the Gamers' Bill Of Rights Website. Here's what he has to say about the issues identified by PC Gamer:

The site, www.gamersbillofrights.org was set up and is run by Stardock. We stand by it. It is, with some irony, our commitment to no DRM on our DVD release that ultimately caused the rough pre-release experience of Elemental. Several retailers broke the street date and we felt we needed to release our gold version to our customers who had pre-ordered from us as well as to our beta community that helped make the game the outstanding strategy game that it is.

However, it also became clear that the pre-day 0 version of the game was problematic as outlined in the PC Gamer UK article. The official day 0 version of the game, what is available right now, should address most, if not all the issues that have been described. That said, as is our long-standing policy, we will continue to release updates and improvements Elemental just as we do for the other titles we develop.

I anticipate us putting out regular updates for Elemental for months or years to come based on player feedback, suggestions, and yes, bug reports.

I hope this offers some explanation as to the events that have come up. I sincerely apologize and feel terrible for the effect my forum posting on Qt3 may have had not just on our fans but also my team that has worked incredibly hard over the past 3 years to produce what we hope, is a game that you will enjoy for years to come.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up Aug 25, 2010, 15:28 Warskull

Kajetan wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 15:08:
Not again this bullshit about "breaking the street date" ... but right, ok, of course. Retailers have stolen pre-release code, pressed it on CD and sold it, MONTHS, heck, YEARS before the game should have been finished.

Brad, you are LYING! Once again! Go home, please, you're embarrasing yourself!

Exactly, this is the same bullshit they pulled with Demigod. They have a barely functional or very buggy product. They ignore the people in the beta telling them the game is nowhere near ready for release and they promise that the Day 0 patch is somehow a miracle patch that fixes everything. How many of these so called miracle patches actually deliver? Especially those within the first two weeks of release?

As for the Qt3 comment "please stay away from our games in the future", it is actually good advice. Stardock had all the time in the world to do GalCiv and someone else did Sins of a Solar Empire. After 2 games in a row (Stardock did the non-functional netcode for Demigod that ruined it) released in a horrifically buggy and incomplete states it is pretty clear Stardock doesn't have what it takes.

They are all talk, months down the line it will still be buggy, Brad Wardell will act like a martyr wondering why his "virulent community" is angry about being sold a broken game, and they will turn on their fans again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo