Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Hardware Outsells Consoles

PC Gaming Alliance Releases Newest Horizons Hardware Research has data from the occasionally dormant PC advocates on PC gaming hardware sales outstripping all console hardware sales combined, using a discreet GPU as the criterion for a gaming rig (thanks Computer and Video Games) Here's an excerpt:

Among the key findings: Annual shipment volumes for the PC Gaming hardware market in 2009 were over two times larger than the combined Wii™, PlayStation® 2, PlayStation® 3 and Xbox 360® console units shipped in the same period. This trend for the PC Gaming hardware market to outpace all console shipments combined is expected to continue through the forecasted period of the research. In addition, revenues from consumer PCs capable of gaming that shipped with a discrete GPU (excludes Netbooks and integrated graphics-based PCs) totaled approximately $54.6 billion in 2009 and are forecasted to grow to $61.3 billion by 2014. These revenue figures are based on an estimated 61.5 million PCs (Desktop and Laptops) shipped in 2009 that can largely be associated with PC gaming as a key usage scenario.

The report also estimates the worldwide number of consumers gaming with discrete graphics solutions on their PCs (Desktop and Notebooks) to be 212.6 million for 2009 and expects this to grow to about 322 million by 2014. The report also includes detailed breakouts of various PC configurations (e.g. Basic, Mass Market, etc), by form factor and by geographic territory.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

33. Re: PC Hardware Outsells Consoles Aug 6, 2010, 22:29 ASJD

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 16:44:
Hmmm... most games still come out at the same time on all platforms though. And I doubt a dual core and GTX 260 can't top 720p (or lower) with little to no AA.

You sure those are the reasons?

Between games coming out for 360 before PC, those 360 games being better than the PS3 version, and some games that get a shit port on PC, yep. Those are the main reasons anyways.

Just a sample : Ace Combat 6 (360 only), Alan Wake (360 only), Assassin's Creed 1 (came out on 360 before PC), AC2 (360 before PC), Alone in the Dark (yea... that was shit!), Amped 3 (360 only), Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts (360 only), Battlefield Bad Company 1 (no PC ver), BFBC2 (beta gave me too many drops below 30fps), Bayonetta (no PC), Beautiful Katamari (360 only), Bionic Commando (360 first? bought it real cheap), Bioshock (ehh, might have been better to buy on PC), Blazblue (no PC version yet), Blue Dragon (360 only), Blur (well, it's a racing game, did it come out on 360 before PC?), Brutal Legend (no PC), Burnout Paradise (360 before PC), Burnout Revenge (no PC ver, right?)...

not counting any XBLA games of course, can't rightly see those in order.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo