Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive Latency Evaluation

OnLive Latency: The Reckoning on Eurogamer.net relates their early experiences with the OnLive cloud-based gaming service, also offering a video latency analysis. Their initial comments seem encouraging, saying: "In Digital Foundry's independent tests, we achieved an optimum response of 150ms - similar to playing Killzone 2 locally, and in line with Rare's claims for lag when using the new Kinect camera controller." They could not always achieve those optimal results, however: "In a best-case scenario, we counted 10 frames delay between button and response on-screen, giving a 150ms latency once the display's contribution to the measurement was removed. Unreal Tournament III worked pretty well in sustaining that response during gameplay. However, other tests were not so consistent, with DiRT 2 weighing in at a clear 150ms-200ms while Assassin's Creed II operated at a wide range of between 150ms-216ms. We'll be discussing the reasons behind this variance in our upcoming OnLive feature." They say this about their overall latency experience using the service on a fat FiOS pipe: "Even with this mammoth connection, in our tests OnLive never meets anything like the claims made for it by company front-man Steve Perlman, on the record as describing end-to-end lag as being under 80ms and 'usually... between 35-40ms'."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

5. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 7, 2010, 22:57 harr2969

I've been playing AC2 on it for a couple of weeks now, I've got the least expensive comcast connection I can get in delaware, and subjectively, it's been working great. I love it.

I've enjoyed the 30 minute demoes you can get of any game in the marketplace, prices per game are more steep than I would like, but the system overall is, I'm happy to say - working.

Now I guess I've earned the free first year subscription I got as an early adopter. :-)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo