Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On OnLive Game Prices

Now that OnLive is live, details have emerged on Eurogamer.net outlining how much games will cost on the service, in addition to OnLive fees (which are not being charged yet). They show Brain Challenge for $4.99, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin for $19.99, Just Cause 2 for $49.99, and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction for $59.99. Those are all pretty much in line for the prices for those games at retail, except in this case you will need to maintain your OnLive subscription to keep playing these games, and even then, access to these titles is only certain for the next three years, as they all carry a "rental duration" which reads: "Until at least 17th June 2013."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

102. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 16:49 Tumbler

Err, what leads you to believe that? Everything in the ToS leads me to the opposite conclusion. In fact, even buying games on the service itself isn't a guarantee of permanent ownership if you keep your sub going the entire time, just read the story.

The story says, "If you allow that to lapse, you can't access the games again until you rejoin." which is what I assume is correct. Person buys game A, plays for a month. Cancels sub and then 4 months later wants to play another game so resubs and pays for the new game I'd expect the other game to be there as well. (although we'll find out if this is true in the future...)

They hold all the cards. If they wanted to be shady they could clear out your account each time you close your sub as a way to extort people to keep paying them...they could. It's already tough to spend money on this service, I don't see them trying to screw paying customers. (more so than they already are?) The free trial year and free game were the only way I'd even try this service. I probably would have put down a few bucks to play the game for 3 days or whatever but I'd never spend $50 on just cause 2 on this service. I refuse to spend that on new games on steam, they're not worth it there either, you don't own the game, can't resell it, the price needs to reflect what you're buying.

So far I've spent all of $0, so far and that works for me. I don't care if they take just cause 2 back after 3 years. I'd say the experience they offer here is worth $20-$30 for this game. (for 3 years of gameplay) Less for several days or months. Maybe $5 for 1 day. $10 for 1 week. $20 for 1 month and $30 for 3 years. Something close to those numbers anyway. The service plays very well, better than I expected. I burned through 2 hours last night on my laptop and if they price the games to a point where people see this as a rental service I'll be very happy.

I keep popping back in to play dirt and if they'd offer that for $20 for 3 years I think I'd pop down the dollars on that. I know I can get that cheap on goozex but being able to use my laptop for these games when the mrs is defiling my 52" Plasma with the real housewives of trashy city is worth the cost to me. In fact I expect to find myself needing to buy a new TV exclusively for gaming or get a better laptop because I find less and less time that I can even play games on the family room TV. With onlive I can use my laptop to start a game, then when it's time to put the baby to bed I can quit the game, then go plug the controller into my pc in the bedroom and continue playing in there....that shit is awesome.

If they get the prices to realistic levels I can see myself spending lots of money here.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo