Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

A reader sent along a note yesterday to warn me his machine picked up a virus infection from a page on CVG after following a link to there from here. I was skeptical this was the case on such a major site, so I visited the page to see what was up. A couple of minutes later I got an antivirus pop-up that started scanning, saying I was infected with a virus, except this was not actually from my AV software. I killed this with the task manager, and removed the infection using Malwarebytes, and restored my system from earlier in the day. I got some weird responses from my antivirus software, and the infection recurred, so I realized the AV software got hijacked along the way, and I repeated that procedure adding an uninstall and reinstall to the checklist, which seems to have cleared things up, ending my tale of woe.

You hear stories about being able to get a virus payload from visiting a page and not even clicking links, but I never knew anyone who actually experienced that (until now), with the weird part being I must have visited the site to post the link in the first place, without incident. Anyway, I notified CVG about the problem, and can only hope that not many of you were impacted by this, and if you were, you managed to clear things up without having to do anything drastic.

R.I.P.: Marvin Isley, Isley Brothers Bass Guitarist. Thanks Mike Martinez.
R.I.P.: Jack Harrison, the last survivor of The Great Escape dies at 97. Thanks Joker961.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: R-Type: Stage 01.
The Spline.
Kill The Weeds. Thanks Javier.
Links: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat. Thanks nin via Dubious Quality.
6 Companies That Make Money Solving Problems (They Made Up). Thanks Joker961.
The Most Expensive and the Coolest Home Theatre in the World. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Lost WWII battlefield found - war dead included. Thanks Joker961.
Banks Paying Colleges For Students Who Rack Up Credit Card Debt.
Dogfish Head Unveils Miles Davis-Inspired Beer, Bitches Brew.
Science: Do aliens live on a Saturn moon? Thanks Kxmode.
Heart attack admissions fall after smoking ban.
Crocodiles Can Surf Across Oceans, Scientists Say.
Meet the Tiger Dog- Chinese owners dye pets to look like wild animals.
Camping Newbies Are Always Easy To Spot.
Media: You Became A Meme.
Follow-up: Ocean Saratoga: Another Oil Spill In The Gulf? Coast Guard Investigates.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 08:23 Verno

Out of the hundreds of machines I've fixed, only a few have been the "HEY BUY THIS!" scareware variety. Most of them are either "we're gunna see how badly we can fuck your machine up before you reformat" or "hey, pal, I'm just gunna hide here in the shadows and try to remain undetected for as long as possible while I pass on your personal information to our skilled team of thieves, mkay?" kinds of malware.

Sounds pretty vague and general to me. Have you ever actually done the things you say or are you just one of those people who runs Malwarebytes once and thinks that they know what the score is? Hundreds of machines? Ahh yes, another internet tech guy. Also my earlier point was that you were acting creepy and should probably stop while you're behind.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo