Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Used Game Lawsuit

A lawsuit has been filed in the Northern District of California against GameStop, citing deceptive practices relating to used game sales. IGN has details on the suit, which stems from a customer buying a used copy of Dragon Age: Origins with the belief that additional DLC was available for free based on the cover blurb. Of course this DLC is part of the new trend intended to impede used-game sales, which the customer learned when they tried to get the DLC, which set them back an additional $15.00, making their final purchase price for the used game $10.00 more than the cost of a brand-new copy (that sound you hear is EA execs exchanging high-fives). IGN has a copy of the complaint in Adobe Acrobat-format, and an article on this on Gamasutra offers thoughts from an analyst saying that GameStop will probably be able to remedy this problem by affixing stickers to used games clarifying DLC availability.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

99. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 27, 2010, 21:43 Jerykk

Or buying it at all because the very reason they may have bought the game was because of the discounted price.

I'm sorry but I highly doubt a $5-10 price difference is the defining consideration for the average consumer when buying games. I think it's more realistic to assume that the people who walk into Gamestop and buy used copies of Madden, Halo, CoD, GoW, or any other heavily marketed game would have otherwise bought the game new had used copies not been available.

If used games were considerably cheaper (like $30 instead of $60), I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, the success of Gamestop contradicts your position because they typically sell used games for only $5-10 less than new ones.

Developers and publishers can't legitimately bitch about used game sales if they are not willing to compete on price with that option.

Okay, let's say that publishers dropped all their prices by $10. Do you really think this would stop people from buying and selling used games? No, it wouldn't. The people who buy and sell used games do so because they want to save as much money as possible without resorting to outright piracy. If a new game costs $50 and a used one costs $40, they will buy the used one. If a new game costs $40 and the used one costs $35, they will buy the used one. In the end, it doesn't matter how much new copies cost if people can always buy used ones.

People use money from selling used games to buy new games. Duh.

If someone is so cheap that they sell everything they buy, isn't it more reasonable to assume that they are more likely to buy used games whenever possible?

In any case, developers don't see any money from that used sale. If you sell a copy of Psychonauts to buy a new copy of Madden, Double-Fine doesn't see a penny. You can claim that you're helping the industry but that's a pretty lame excuse. If you enjoy a game, you should reward the developer who made it.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2010, 21:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo