Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's "Best Game"

"Oh Portal 2's great. It's the best game we've ever done," Valve's Gabe Newell tells 1UP in answer to the question of why the audience should be excited about Portal 2, their recently announced puzzle platformer sequel, saying: "It's pretty clear, just internally," when asked how he can say that about the project before its completion. When pressed for details about the game, the Valve Managing Director dodges: "Jonathan Coulton is awesome -- he's just brilliant; he's a joy to work with." Thanks Mike Martinez.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's Mar 12, 2010, 13:28 Riker

Verno wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 13:08:
Half-Life 2 felt more like a great engine showcase than an individual game entry anyways.
Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 13:16:
It's hard to beat the original Half-Life, which in essence introduced an entirely new way of handling narrative in videogames, but it's not that hard to beat Half Life 2, I think.

When I played Half-Life 2, my first reaction to it was, "This really doesn't feel like Half-Life," and although I thought the game was a lot of fun, I couldn't help but be somewhat disappointed. I was really wanting to return to Black Mesa because it was familiar and awesome. But I've come to really appreciate the art, and art of making, Half-Life 2. The commentary that came with Episodes One and Two were a fascinating insight into how the games were developed, and it has changed how I look at them. More than a game, the world they created is so intensely believable, which few games seem to pull off.

Half-Life 2 is one of the best-crafted games ever made, but if anyone can come close to it, it's Valve. Portal was a great set-up, and I look forward to seeing that world fleshed out (even though it's technically the same universe as the Half-Life games).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo