Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again

Ubisoft tweets that their DRM servers are experiencing another denial of service attack, and users are having trouble playing, as was the case over the weekend. Word is: "Our servers are under attack again. Some gamers are experiencing trouble signing in. We're working on it and will keep you posted."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

52. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 02:13 I've Got The News Blues

raVen wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 01:29:
  • No more damn patches. I'm always up to date.
  • First, third-party games on Steam aren't always up-to-date. Sometimes the patches are late or in a few cases they don't appear at all. Stalker and Arx Fatalis are examples. Second, the way that Steam implements automatic patching eliminates choice and is too restrictive. You can't rollback a patch if it breaks your game or you discover that you otherwise don't want the patch. That has even happened with Valve's own games like L4D and TF2 on occasion where a patch broke the game until the next one arrived. Steam's automatic patching also reverts modified game files whether you want that done or not because it offers no selective control over file replacement. It's an irreversible all-or-nothing implementation.

• One login for many games.
  • This is Steam's biggest weakness as it is a single point of failure. Steam is one big killswitch for all of your games. So, when Steam fails or you lose access to your account, you don't just lose one game, you lose all of them. No other major DRM system is so restrictive in that regard.

• I don't even have to be online after installing. (Offline Mode)
  • Offline mode has limits to it which should be apparent to people who have multiple Steam accounts or who share their PC with others. Offline mode has also been historically unreliable although Valve has claimed to have finally fixed offline mode in two recent updates. Valve didn't explain what those fixes were though so who knows if offline mode will now work more reliably.

• I have to log in to be able to go into offline mode.
  • which defeats the purpose of offline mode since sometimes you can't login first.

• Friends lists, server lists, tons of other social stuff and free.
  • Xfire, Gamespy Comrade, etc. have offered these same features for years. In addition, these third-party services have much broader server lists because Steam's list is only for Steamworks games. Steam's community features are nice for those who want them, but unlike third-party solutions which are optional these features are included in the Steam client whether one wants them or not.

• Heavy use - Launch titles HL2 basically took Steam down for days. I haven't seen anything as bad since, they have learned some good lessons.
  • Steam still regularly fails for some at every major game launch. HL2 was hardly the last time it happened.

The real problem with your list though is that you are confusing the benefits of Steam as a game service with its DRM and restrictive policies when the two aren't mutually inclusive by necessity. It's like saying that Valve can only give you a lollipop if it also cuts off your arm. Steam DRM doesn't have to be so restrictive for the service to offer unlimited downloads. Having restrictive DRM isn't necessary for Steam to offer community and chat features. Even the Steam client could be made optional and separate from the DRM. Steam's DRM doesn't have to be a universal killswitch for all its games just so it can offer some unrelated beneficial features.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2010, 02:28.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
    Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
    If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
    If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
    Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
    • i[italic text]i
    • u[underline text]u
    • -[strikethrough text]-
    • c[code text]c
    • +[bullet point]+
    • q[quote text (indented)]q
    • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
    • [url=Link]text[/url]
    • r{red text}r
    • g{green text}g
    • b{blue text}b
    • m{maroon text}m
    • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
    2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
    3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
    4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo