Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces

The victims of PC gaming DRM: one soldier's story on Ars Technica highlights another issue with Ubisoft's DRM plans, which will require a constant internet connection even to play single-player games. This article describes how this will impact soldiers deployed overseas who will not be able to play such games as internet access on forward bases is hampered by bandwidth caps and flaky connectivity. "I'm deployed to Iraq right now, and [DRM] has ranged from annoying to unforgivable for me. I would like to let you know that Steam is pretty awesome with working with deployed folks to make sure we can access/play our games," one soldier tells Ars. "I've had hit and miss success with some of the other download companies. Any kind of game that tries to call home, though, is generally more of a problem than it is worth. Especially ones that try to resolve your IP address with your version/purchase location."

Editorial comment: Ubisoft's DRM plans seem to have no fans outside of the company itself, and we can only hope the attention focused on problems it will cause will inspire them to reconsider.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

14. Re: Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces Feb 24, 2010, 14:46 NKD

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2010, 13:51:
As they plummet toward bankruptcy they'll see the light.

Not really. Only a vocal minority stays informed about DRM, and fewer still are going to give up a game they want to play because of it.

Certainly not enough to make a dent in sales, let alone bankrupt a company.

JaguarUSF wrote on Feb 24, 2010, 13:56:
There was uproar about the lack of dedicated servers and Steam requirement in Modern Warfare 2, and there was no effect on sales, so why give into empty gamers' demands?

Exactly. People wildly over-estimate how much they matter. The truth is, the number of people who give a shit about these issues is incredibly small compared to gamers at large.

As much as I'd love to live in the world of delusions where PC gamers can band together and bring down the evil greedy corporations of the world with the power of lean, dedicated servers, and DRM-free games, it just isn't reality. Most gamers don't even game on their PC.

PC titles make up a smaller and smaller portion of gaming every year, Facebook and shallow indie games that people buy for $2 on Steam aside. People don't want to see it, but the industry is changing and there's nothing that can be done to stop that.

All we can do is refuse to buy titles that don't meet our standards, but we have to live with the fact that doing so won't make a statement of any kind. It'll save us a few bucks, but it isn't going to change anything.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2010, 14:51.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo