Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty

Cryptic says their MMORPG Star Trek Online needs a "meaningful" death penalty, so there's some consequence to those "he's dead Jim" moments in the Trekkie MMORPG. "I get that people want to feel a sense of risk when they’re fighting in battles, but if the only emotion you feel when you’re playing a game is fear that you’re going to lose some time due to an arbitrary gameplay mechanic, we’re probably not doing something right," executive producer Craig Zinkievich explains to IncGamers. "We are looking into finding a meaningful way to give players a deeper sense of loss when something bad happens. But we want it to feel right, rather than just like an arbitrary penalty." How about this: Dead players must be shot onto the surface of the planet created by the Genesis device.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty Feb 18, 2010, 14:05 Ruffiana

Am I the only one who reads "meaningful" death as separate and different than "death penalty".

I wish more games were able to deliver meaningful death experiences. Death in real life is one of the most profound, life altering, emotional experiences there is and I applaud any game that attempts to find ways to reach people on that type of emotional level.

Especially a social game like an MMO. I personally think it would be awesome if those moments of self-sacrifice had some kind of actual meaning because dying was more than just losing some time, levels, or loot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo