Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer

Star Trek Online announces the Borg update, upcoming high-level episodes that will look to assimilate players of level 43 or higher. Word is: "Previously, the Borg were thought to be severely weakened by the actions the USS Voyager, as fans of the show will remember. But in 2409, the Borg have regained and surpassed much of their old strength, and Episodes in the Borg Update will add more substance to that portion of STO’s story. Players will eventually face off against the Borg Queen, the leader of the Collective, but the road to her lair is a very dangerous path." Here are some Borg screenshots and here is a Borg faction trailer, which is embedded below.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

10. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 03:29 .Drifter

space captain wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 22:39:
Players will eventually face off against the Borg Queen, the leader of the Collective, but the road to her lair is a very dangerous path.

and then 5 minutes later she will be reborn, the road will be rebuilt and everything will go back to exactly as it was before

AWESOME! and so very compelling

While there could be options besides this industry standard method of making MMORPG's, I'm guessing they'd be pretty difficult.
Why?
Well, the publisher puts in new content. Those players who seem to live in online games conquer it within a day or two of release, the content is done. Rather than reset, the creators of the game LEAVE it done, just like "real life" would be.
Then what happens?
No one else gets a shot at it, new content must be released, at which time . . .
Lather, rinse, repeat, with the same group of people getting all the new content each patch.

One alternative I could mention is to do what EVE did. Just don't bother with content and let players pretty much make the game up as they go. Or, as I like to think of EVE, make an economic simulator and throw in some method for players to kill each other. Or do some repetitive, mind numbing activity.
Heck, change the ships to armored, heavily armed players. Then change space into large, open FPS zones with vehicles.
Viola! ADAM online!
Throw out random stories, make some new guns, armor, and vehicles every once in a while, and give people the ability to go into mines and MINE things, and you've got a new hit game!
Or did they already do this and call it Fallen Earth (which most people don't seem to care for)?

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 03:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo