Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Ubi.com Q&A

Ubisoft has posted an Online Services Platform Q&A about the just announced plan to require online authentication through Ubi.com to play Ubisoft's PC offerings. The FAQ, which we have posted locally, clarifies a number of aspects of the plan, key points include how the service means games can be played without a DVD in the drive, that there will be no offline mode, that players must remain online the entire time they play, and how they will offer 24/7 support for those experiencing problems. They also promise that if the service is going to go offline they will patch games to no longer require it: "Ubisoft is committed to being a forerunner in providing new exciting online service. If any service is stopped, we will create a patch for the game so that the core game play will not be affected." Some of the key questions and answers are posted below.

What is the added value of this platform for PC gamers?
A CD/DVD is not required to play the game. The protected game can be installed as many times and on as many computers as you like! Saved games are also synchronized online so the user can continue playing from where he/she left off from any computer; at work, at a friend's place etc.

Is there an "off-line" option?
No. The added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you donít need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.

What if I lose my account or my computer crashes?
Customer service is available to help you re-access your account. If you experience a computer crashes, the game will kwill still recognise your license and all synchronizations made before the crash will be stored online.

Will all my saved games be stored online?
Yes! They will be stored both online and on your PC.

Will I need to be online the whole time when I play the game? Including for single player?
Yes. You will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.

Will this affect the performance of my PC?
No. The services that we offer run only when you start the game and there are no background services.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Steam made people accept this. Jan 27, 2010, 04:09 Icewind

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 21:25:
Prez wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 20:42:
Having to be online 100% of the time in single player is nothing like what Steam requires.
It is like it because Steam's requirement of the Internet for most of its functions has made offline gaming a nonentity for most PC gamers. They have gotten so used to gaming online that's all they do and expect. That's why they aren't complaining about Ubisoft's proposal. You and I may know there's a difference, but they don't or don't care.

Ubisoft's system is probably going to work like this: You login after launching the game and once it authenticates you, you can disconnect from the net and keep playing until you exit the game. The free adware versions of Far Cry and Prince of Persia Sands of Time that Ubisoft released a couple of years ago worked like that.

You're sadly ill-informed.

Once you install a game to Steam, you let it check for updates, then after it is finished you go to offline mode in the settings. Done. You never have to go online with it again if you don't want to.

My "secondary" PC on the other side of the house is for XP games. It has Steam, and all of the games currently installed through Steam on it are in offline mode, since at the moment, that PC is unable to connect to my router (no wifi, no cord long enough until I buy a new one).

Steam is perfectly fine in offline mode. The problem with this Ubisoft scheme is that is has *no* offline mode. You have to be online, all the time you are playing a game that uses it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo