Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15

A post to the 2K Forums by community manager 2K Elizabeth follows up on conflicting information about BioShock 2 activation limits, saying "We are using SecuROM only as a disc check method for the retail copy of BioShock 2. That is it's [sic] only use." Yesterday the BioShock 2 on Steam Page listed a SecuROM 15 install limit which was later changed to say there will be a five install limit. A later post by Elizabeth clarifies: "That item on Steam is an error and will be corrected. It is not correct right now." True to that, the Steam BioShock 2 Page no longer lists any activation limits. Update: Thanks nin for pointing out this forum post which brings us back to where this all started, as it states the game will have a 15-install limit enforced through Games for Windows Live.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

27. Re: BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15 Jan 21, 2010, 15:59 z3razerviper

Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 15:25:
Then Microsoft is lying to someone viper - according to this

Relevant portion:

Will there be a limit to the number of installs?

No. Youíll be able to install anywhere and play anywhere. We will be DRM-agnostic. What I mean by that is, itís up to the publisher if they want to have off-line copy protection. If they do, there may be some separate copy protection. As far as Games for Windows ó LIVE is concerned, you can install anywhere you want, as many times as you want.

2.0 had activation limits, supposedly they abolished that practice with 3.0 last August. If you have information to the contrary then feel free to post it. Elizabeth has posted multiple times over the past week and people need to check post timestamps, she has clarified and corrected herself several times. For example the SSA key thing is from 18 hours ago and she's already posted two updates since then which contradict it.

It's just a giant god damn mess.

I am not even sure the marketing guys at microsoft know how thier system works. SSA keys are the best solution in my opinion. A revoke tool for non ssa keys would be nice as well... would also solve all the dawn of war II issues. Activation time resets would also work say an activation has not been used for a month or 2 it gets credited back.

nullability wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 15:54:
They have moved GFWL activations to be account-based rather than key-based... I had a great time؟ trying to play Universe At War after formatting my computer, since you get a single-use GFWL key that, once used to install a game, can not be used again even if you try to log in to the same account. They have changed this behaviour but their crappy client software and awful launch certainly doesn't instill any feelings of trust toward Microsoft.

The activations are only account based if it uses what microsoft calls SSA Keys any game prior to GFWL 3.0 or a game that chooses not to use SSA after 3.0 has GFWL activation limits. 2k has said they chose not to use SSA and but seem to have added the new product activation features in GFWL 3.0 (which replaces securom I guess

Here is the link to the microsft website that says ssa is optional its down at the very bottom of the page

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/aboutGFW/pages/gfw3intro.aspx

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 16:15.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo