Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BC2 Beta Dates; No Mod Tools or Public Server Distribution

The Battlefield Blog has a post from today (dated yesterday) with details on the PC beta testing for Battlefield Bad Company 2, saying the test is slated to run from January 28 to February 25 on a 32-player map called Port Valdez, which features a snow environment. They say preordering the game is "the most sure fire way" to get access, and that this can be done now through the EA Store and GameStop and they are working to get this offer on other retailers and e-tailers. They also confirm a recent leak suggesting a Steam beta, but say this does not mean this is certain: "We are however working with Steam to have the Public PC Beta available on Steam, but can't confirm this quite yet so cross your fingers Steam users." The post also has some further details about the game, saying it will use PunkBuster as an anti-cheating measure and there will be no mod tools, "However a majority of the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers." Finally, speaking of dedicated servers, while the game will make use of them, the software will not be distributed: "We will not distribute these publicly. There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: BC2 Beta Dates; No Mod Tools or Public Server Distribution Jan 9, 2010, 05:47 RocketChef

One question to all the "haters": Was there ever one game in the history of the Battlefield series for the PC where there were ONLY official EA (dedicated) servers? Even the Gamespy auth servers for BF42 are still running...

I think they will give some kind of trust and/or contract to GSPs for hosting dedicated servers which you can rent. But the advantages for DICE in not giving the files to public use is clear: 1. they can control which GSP hosts a server 2. no server-side hacks to bypass serial checks for the clients (win for EA/DICE *and* fair to the paying players) 3. harder to build hacks/cheats which were developed by studying the client-server packets in depth (win for DICE *and* the fair-players). LAN is the big downside but I think in times of fast and lag-free internet for everybody that is not a big loss. I have to wait till its out but I think on my 16K/1M ADSL connection could take a 4 player squad mini-LAN when playin on the internet.

No mod support? I'am fine with this this time. I see BFBC2 more of a financial step to fund a BF3 development where the modding community should be supported!

I suggest to wait until it's out before sending out apocalyptic prayers. Remember the "MW2 we want dedicated servers" steam group? Even if you argue here this picture told me that there is still a 50/50 chance that you will buy the game. I did not but I will support DICE and buy BFBC2 - hey... it's the first ever PC BFBC!

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2010, 05:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo