Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Postmortem

Learn to Let Go: How Success Killed Duke Nukem on Wired hashes through the development history of Duke Nukem Forever, the unreleased first-person shooter that could serve as a poster child for vaporware after a 12 year production cycle. Though 3D Realms' George Broussard and Scott Miller did not participate in interviews and Broussard requested the same of their former employees, they got enough access to put together an inside look at what lead to the failures of this ambitious project. They discuss the problems caused by chasing technology and multiple engine switches, the "problem" of having too much money, the trials of managing a staff working on a project with no apparent end in sight, and the project's final days when 3D Realms finally needed outside money to complete the game. The conclusion includes this outlook on whether the game will ever be released:

Many observers think Take-Two is attempting to bleed 3D Realms dry until it has no more cash, then convince a judge to force Broussard and Miller to hand over intellectual-property rights to the Duke Nukem franchise to repay the $2.5 million advance. Its an IP grab, says one Dallas-area developer. If Take-Two actually secured the rights to Duke Nukem, it might likely throw out the by-then-aging Duke Nukem Forever and simply hire new developers to produce new Duke games. But even without the suit, there is only a short window for Duke Nukem Forever to come out in its current form before it will have to be revised yet again, to keep pace with changing technology.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

66. Re: DNF Postmortem Dec 23, 2009, 10:16 space captain

king of the world (again - are you kidding?????), but i can assure you - that was a massive pile of self-absorbed bullshit. nobody gives a flying fuck about the spiritual significance of duke nukem.

is that what you see, when you read it, nothing like putting your own self absorbed reality on something that doesn't exist, right?
Hey, you ever say, Who's the King, baby or Hail to the King? if you say you didn't you'd be a lair, huh? Did I say, I thought I was the king of the world, no. But, I can see obviously you don't mind projecting your delusion.

so you are so convinced ive said "hail to the king" or "whos the king baby" that any denial id make is automatically false, and yet im the one projecting delusion? while funny, its also very predictable. the world does not revolve around your personal experiences and the real delusion is to believe everyone feels the same as you, and acts the same as you

not some bullshit rose-colored dream of your past glory days.

Right, keep telling yourself you referring to me, it quite humorous.

of course im referring to you, did you even read your own post?? about "what the world lost" and "we were all kings" and being "afraid to cry" about DNF being cancelled? this is so obviously directly related to your statement that if you cant see it, all that does is evidence your ridiculous blind spot

....blithely carrying the freshly decrepit undead corpse of public opin....

Got all that from reading my post, did you? Must be a hoot to be you.

It was an artistic extrapolation of an interpretation of your emotional trajectory.. so yeh, i got it from reading your post as well as plenty of other places. i was presenting it in such an extreme light to dissuade you from going further in that direction.

the real world isnt always as clear as black/white, or on/off - there are many subtle gradations which directly correspond to your own personal perception. and there is a vast and sprawling neurosis across humanity in which people take ideas and concepts as actual physical things, and react accordingly. its a bullshit waste of time and energy, thats my point

basically it comes down to how much you enjoy to suffer - if that gets you off, by all means.. go for it. however, my point is that a great deal of it is simply created by your own mind and has zero basis in actual reality

i understand obsession with pleasure, obsession with favorite objects (like a duke nukem game) and also obsession with glorious past days that will never be repeated.. again, if you enjoy that then keep on rolling - however id rather recognize my options before i make a choice, and thats why im writing you this little love letter

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo