Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More WoW In-Game Cutscenes

Blizzard's Jeff Kaplan on Warcraft's Past And Future on GameInformer.com is an interview that goes into detail about World of Warcraft with Jeff Kaplan, designer on Blizzard's MMORPG. The conversation covers many areas, including a bit highlighted on IncGamers (thanks Ant) saying that the version 3.3 patch will include their next experiments with in-game cutscenes:

Cutscenes will always be something that we use sparingly, yes. We never want to interrupt gameplay too frequently or for too long of a period of time. The Wrathgate cutscene was a big experiment for us. It was our first foray into in-game cutscenes in World of Warcraft. I donít think weíve fully refined how we want cutscenes to work with future World of Warcraft content.

We debate like crazy. We debate the length, we debate the frequency, and we have a lot of theories, but Blizzard is a really iterative development house. I think whatís going to have to happen is that youíll see more cutscenes come into the game for us to really refine our strategy with them. We definitely have an eye toward more cutscenes, but at the same time, we donít want to become just a cutscene game.

Even before Cataclysm, in patch 3.3, thereís going to be a really exciting cutscene moment thatís going to be our next experiment with that.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

1. Re: More WoW In-Game Cutscenes Dec 3, 2009, 17:18 CannibalBob

Back in the days of Warcraft 2 and Starcraft, I really enjoyed the cutscenes. The reason was because they were really good cutscenes, and they were infrequent enough to serve as excellent rewards for beating those handful of missions. They were also skip-able.

Now-a-days, games seem to load up so many cutscenes that you may as well be watching a movie. Even worse are those stupid in-game cutscenes that are a part of the game, hence you can't skip past them (see: Half Life 2). I just want to play a game, damn it, not watch a video.

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo