Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Comcast Buying NBC Universal

CNBC.com reports General Electric has completed a deal to sell NBC Universal to Comcast, pending completion of a deal where Vivendi will sell its 20% stake in the entity. The deal may take up to a year before being approved by the FCC, but that approval is ultimately expected, which would leave Comcast 51% owner of NBC Universal, with GE retaining the other 49%. Word is: "Comcast wants NBC Universal largely for its lucrative cable channels, such as Bravo and CNBC. NBC Universal also spans the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, the Universal Pictures movie studio and Universal theme parks." GE currently owns 80 percent of NBCU, which is valued at approximately $30 billion, and they say: "The deal includes the spinoff of NBC Universal and $9 billion in debt. It also includes the merger of Comcast's content assets and a $6 billion cash contribution." Thanks Mike Martinez via Mashable.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 22:06 shuttleswo

Insert this laff after the Hulu comment. This posting system is brokedick and sucks a queef.

This format totally isn't web 1.0.

Howso?

i believe he is oh so eloquently pointing out that comments aren't nested like Slashdot etc.

the thing that scares me the most is how comcast handled the VS situation with dish recently; their willingness to withhold content to gain a competitive advantages for their other businesses (in this case taking a hit on the content business to bolster delivery business) clearly shows that they have a monopolistic and unethical culture - allowing them to gain a ridiculous 25% of the TV content market share is really scary; they could, in a matter of years, drive dish, FIOS and direct out of business - after all 'now comcast has 25% more programming than anyone else (because we won't sell it to anyone else)', doesn't seem that far fetched.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo