Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA Announces Record Gains, 1500 Job Cuts

EA Reports Record Q2 Non-GAAP Net Revenue of $1.15 Billion has word of Electronic Arts' fiscal second quarter results, which are in the red in spite of "record" non-GAAP net revenue for the quarter, saying: "GAAP net revenue for the quarter, which includes the impact of deferred net revenue adjustments, was $788 million as compared with $894 million for the prior year. During the quarter, EA had a net revenue deferral of $359 million related to certain online-enabled packaged goods and digital content as compared with $232 million in the second quarter of the prior year. Non-GAAP net revenue for the quarter was a record $1.147 billion, up 2 percent as compared with $1.126 billion for the prior year. Revenues were above street expectations. Sales were driven by the launches of FIFA 10, Madden NFL 10, The Beatles™: Rock Band®, Need for Speed™ SHIFT and NCAA Football 10. GAAP net loss for the quarter, including the impact of deferred net revenue, was $391 million as compared with a net loss of $310 million for the prior year. GAAP diluted loss per share was $1.21 as compared with GAAP diluted loss per share of $0.97 for the prior year." They also shed more light on the job cuts mentioned earlier under a heading "Cost Reduction Plan" Word is:

EA has announced a plan to narrow its product portfolio to provide greater focus on titles with higher margin opportunities.

This action will result in the closure of several facilities and a headcount reduction of approximately 1,500 positions, of which 1,300 are included in a restructuring plan. The majority of these actions will be completed by March 31, 2010. This plan will result in annual cost savings of at least $100 million and restructuring charges of $130 to $150 million.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2009, 18:36 Ruffiana

As someone who's been in the industry for over 11 years, I've never been happy with being laid off. A few months of unemployment can set you back years in terms of finances.

Frankly, studio shut downs are a not a good thing for anyone. Most people I've worked with who were axed as part of a team or a project made a decent game and were primed to make a much better game. Never given the opportunity.

I blame the used game market. It's contributed to the death of so much potential at the expense of someone not even involved in making games getting huge profits. That's why I don't buy used games and it's why I stopped letting people borrow my games or borrowing games from other people. If I play it, I pay for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo