Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MW2 Multiplayer: Listen Servers with 18 Player Limit

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Live Chat Session transcript on the Best Buy Forum recaps a chat with Infinity Ward about their upcoming military shooter sequel. Included is some follow-up to the revelation that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will not include dedicated server support (thanks Brave New Gamer via Destructoid). Along the way they are asked multiple times about PC dedicated servers, which they clearly resist, but designer Mackey McCandlish admits: "Our goal is to provide the best experience for our users, so nothing is ever 'off the table'. We are always evaluating our options." Infinity Ward also questions the legitimacy of the petition for dedicated servers, with Vince Zampella saying not all of its 178,000 signatures are legitimate (This petition actually now has 180,700 signatures), with McCandlish adding "402 signed it 4 times I heard." A couple of other new bits of info were also pinned down, one a confirmation that with all this talk about IW.net being a superior alternative to dedicated servers, multiplayer games will indeed be hosted by one of the players, and that the limit for multiplayer games is 18 players on a nine-on-nine match (says McCandlish: "The max number of players on all platforms are 1v1 through 9v9. This is the number of players we focused on when we were balancing map size, perks, classes, challenges, etc."). Here's the part about hosting multiplayer games:

IWNet matches players together based on several factors including ping and skill. After players are matched, the most suitable host is determined. That player hosts until they quit, at which time hosting responsibilities will normally migrate to another player without interrupting the match.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

2. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer: Listen Servers with 18 Player Limit Nov 4, 2009, 16:01 Zardoz5

9 vs. 9 and player hosted games = confirmed me not buying MW2. I hope its worth it IW. I've played your games since the 2015 days but now you've lost me as a customer.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo