Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wardell on GFWL: "They Take Over, I'm Done"

The Stardock Interview Part 2 on Shacknews continues their conversation with Stardock boss Brad Wardell. Topics include the dumbing down of strategy games, how publishers lie about sales numbers, competing with digital retailers, and Microsoft's lack of leadership on the PC as a gaming platform. On the heels of an article on Joystiq about opening Games for Windows to indie developers, Brad offers a revelatory quote about the nightmare of working with the Games for Windows LIVE platform:

I don't know. I started out as a big Games for Windows Live advocate. I intended for Elemental to be on Games for Windows Live, but then as we got closer, the Xbox group took it over more and more. And they have things where, oh, if you want to use Games for Windows Live to update your game, you have to go through [their] certification. And if you do it more than X number of times, you have to pay money. It's like, "My friends, you can't do that on the PC."

On the console, I don't have to update my game because an anti-virus program got an update and is now identifying my VB scripts as viruses and I have to apply an emergency patch. That would just add insult to injury. We've had to upgrade our games plenty of times over the years, not because we found some bug, but because some third-party program, or driver, or whatever screwed it up. If Games for Windows Live maintains that strategy and they take over, I'm done. I'm not making PC games. I would be done.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

56. Re: Wardell on GFWL: Oct 1, 2009, 17:11 Bhruic

yes it got forced upon them, agreed. (and the same is true now, buy halflife 2 in the shops, you still need steam - EVEN if you dont have a internet connection for your single player game). thing is, now people dont care that its STILL forced upon them.

That's because it's understood to be forced. When someone bought Half Life 1, installed CS, they could play right away. There was no need to install Steam, and no reason to deal with Steam's issues (of which there were many). Then Steam got forced upon people if they wanted to continue to get updates. And even if they didn't, it fractured the community because some people upgraded and some didn't.

CS 1.6 or whatever it was, downloaded and was running the same night i grudgingly installed it.

Sure, and then if you took your laptop on a trip, and wanted to play some HL, you couldn't, because HL was tied to Steam, and there was no offline mode at the time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo