Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Develop - Who killed the video game star?
The caricature that is Duke Nukem will therefore live longer in the memory than Faith from Mirror’s Edge or Call of Duty’s Soap MacTavish. Or think of Naughty Dog’s output – from Sonic-rivalling Crash Bandicoot, through Jak and Daxter to Nathan Drake of Uncharted. The latter is richer in narrative than the previous titles or most other games for that matter, but could you honestly describe the hero? GTA IV’s Nico Bellic is the exception that proves the rule, personality wise, and the odd player character still manages to combine pseudo-realism with some physical uniqueness – Gears of War’s Marcus Fenix is nothing if not a bland cliché, yet physically he can be recognised from a silhouette.

Trembling Hand- Why Does it Need to be Massive?
Consider a game with a 'massive' lobby where you do your shopping, train up your character and find your team - or even survey the strategic map. Then you launch in to a 'tiny' instanced encounter that caters to your current fancy. It could be a PvE mission, a PvP battlefield or an RvR engagement etc. Such a game wouldn't be lumbered with the hosting burdens of a 'massive' game, and it could better tailor content - and difficulty - to the teams as they enter the world. It could even include more randomised content, so you don't get situations where you know precisely where the mission objective is or the spawn points are. Kind of like Left4Dead. Furthermore, it could more easily cater for the large proportion of solo players by scaling to their needs. I call it an MTMO (Massively Tiny Multiplayer Online).

GameTopius - An “Odyssey” Game.
In short, science fiction bends and stretches reality, yet its core presence in video-games is nearly infinitesimal. I find that extremely interesting, considering what videogames represent to the subculture at large. Plenty of scientists gave rise to and contributed immensely to what we now (rather dismissively) categorize as science fiction, be it literature or movies. With the amount of work that’s put into making videogames these days, I’d be more pressed to say that it’s a games development process that's escapism (I still categorize my time with any title as 'Experiencism').

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2009, 10:52 Zadig

Consider a game with a 'massive' lobby where you do your shopping, train up your character and find your team - or even survey the strategic map. Then you launch in to a 'tiny' instanced encounter that caters to your current fancy. It could be a PvE mission, a PvP battlefield or an RvR engagement etc.

I believe it’s called Guild Wars.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo