Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on Why L4D2 and Not Ep 3

Left 4 Dead 2 Comic-Con 2009 Interview on G4tv.com is a videotaped conversation with Valve spokesperson Doug Lombardi about the upcoming zombie shooter sequel. One of the thrusts of the conversation is storytelling, describing story-oriented dialog that was stripped from the first game, and the lessons they've learned about how this does and does not fit in the context of a replayable action game. Doug also says the that the cliché of "Valve time" (where games are shipped "when they are done," which is inevitably after their planned release date) is "actually a bit out of date," since many of their recent releases have been more timely. He also goes into reasons for such a rapid L4D sequel, including the passion the team has for the project and the fresh ideas they have for the follow up, coming out and saying development of Left 4 Dead 2 is easier than development would be for the third episode of Half-Life 2:

…and then you had the AI director, which allowed us to start building sets and get gameplay up and running really, really quickly. In a game like Half-Life, every moment, every gesture Alyx makes, every facial expression she gives you, is pretty much 'hand crafted,' and that's just a lot of hand-stitching. So for us to be able to put out… I mean, we tried it with episodes, we said we were gong to go smaller, and we were going to get quicker, and we got a little bit quicker, but we didn't get that much quicker. And it was because of that, you know, that hand-stitching of that single-player experience where you have to go through and script every dramatic moment, script every time Alyx is going to turn and look at you like this [Doug includes a good impression of Alyx's doe-eyed look] and what have you. And with Left 4 Dead 2, with the AI Director, a lot of that is handed over to the controls, and then you can say, 'okay, we can just start building new content now, checking it in and start play-testing immediately'."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

2. Episode 3 Jul 25, 2009, 11:55 Riker

Mark my words, there will be no Episode 3. I predict Valve will surprise everybody by revealing Half-Life 3 instead.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo