Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Windows Natal?

CNET News has word from Microsoft chairman Bill Gates that the NATAL motion sensing technology MS demonstrated at E3 will find its way to Windows in the future, as well (thanks Mike Martinez). Someone will have to remind Bill that Microsoft is firmly committed to Windows gaming, as he seems to think this is all about office productivity (we're trying to picture printing via arm gestures). Word is:

Speaking about all of the technology Microsoft has cooking in its labs, Gates said: "I'd say a cool example of that, that you'll see... in a little over a year, is this (depth) camera thing." Gates said it was not just for games, "but for media consumption as a whole, and even if they connect it up to Windows PCs for interacting in terms of meetings, and collaboration, and communication."

Gates said it is an example where the project started in Microsoft research but is now being commercialized by both the Xbox and Windows units. "Both the Xbox guys and the Windows guys latched onto that and now even since they latched onto it the idea of how it can be used in the office is getting much more concrete, and is pretty exciting."

Using your body to control devices makes a lot of sense, Gates said. "I think the value is as great for if you're in the home, as you want to manage your movies, music, home system type stuff, it's very cool there," he said. "And I think there's incredible value as we use that in the office connected to a Windows PC. So Microsoft research and the product groups have a lot going on there, because you can use the cost reduction that will take place over the years to say, why shouldn't that be in most office environments."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

50. Re: Windows Natal? Jul 17, 2009, 18:22 The PC Warrior

Yeah you can. There were many tennis, bowling, baseball, baseketball, etc games before the Wii. And pretty much all DS games have the touch-screen tacked on as a gimmick. In most cases, playing such games with more traditional control schemes is faster and more precise.

Funny how the consumer is the one making that choice and is overwhelmingly choosing the so called "gimmicks". Perhaps the old methods are not as fun, faster or precise as you would believe to other people. What's more, these newer methods continue to evolve. We started with Waggles and now we're already near 1:1 motion and multi-touch screen devices. You don't seem to grasp that not all games work well with traditional control methods and that gaming as a hobby is evolving and expanding beyond the norm.

Deus Ex is a good game. Wii Fit and any other game that relies on gimmicky controls are not. I'd much rather play Deus Ex.

Wii Fit is not a good game to you. Other people do not find it a gimmick and enjoy it. Does that really bother you so much? No one is forcing you to play Wii Fit and traditional control scheme games continue to be made.

I didn't realize that you can only share your opinions when they are overwhelmingly positive. Last I checked, a discussion requires multiple opinions, not just one.

I didn't realize sticking your head in the sand, not knowing the subject material and making vague blanket statements was an opinion or discussion.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2009, 18:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo